Wednesday, October 01, 2008

The Little Way

To say that I love St. Therese would definitely be the truth. One could say that she's been a major influence of many of the good things that have happened in my life. Five years ago (how in the world has it been that long!) my three best friends and I started a novena to St. Therese that changed my life.

In the past few days I've been really missing two of those friends - although the convent and grad school are good places to be! I've also been getting pretty pumped about Baby U2 coming from the other best friend!!

I've been hugely busy the past week - being gone every day till at least 8, with family this weekend, a retreat the weekend before. Apparently I was spacing out so much in class yesturday that one of my students commented that "It's like she's gone to Cancun in her head!" - don't I wish! So, a little stressed out would be an understatement :).

When I glanced at my word of the day calendar (the one I inherited from Sr. Sophia Grace) last night as I was brushing my teeth, I realized that, for the first time in five years I had completely forgotten to pray my novena. I was kind of bummed. I could really use some St. Therese graces this week! So I started last night and my guardian angel finished for me. I prayed the second day this morning.

Today was fairly low stress. I got caught up on most of my back grading, had a fairly productive (albiet short) planning period and headed to All School Mass. I was sitting there, intersperced between my freshmen and sophomores and sometime during the Bishop's homily I prayed, "You know, St. Therese, I'd be OK if I didn't get any daisies as long as I can offer up this suffering and stress to make my kids holier people. It really was a touching moment.

After Mass, I got on with my day and started the craziness of having sophomores turn in papers and do a big project presentation in the same day. It was in the middle of these presentations that my miracle came.

In walked one of my former students - an office aid - with a big bouquet of white daisies just for me. I started tearing up then and there as the love of God overwhelmed me. You know, you hask for things but a lot of times I just expect for them to not happen. I guess the Bishop's homily about trust (see - I really did pay attention!) was something I needed to hear. Although friends seem to be having babies and getting in engaged and are otherwise moving on with life while mine seems to be at somewhat of a standstill, God was saying - "Yes, Lisa. I know it's hard and I know that you're lonely and can't wait to have someone to come home to. But look what I do with the little daisies. Can you even imagine what I have planned for your life?"

Nope, I can't. But I'm sure looking forward to seeing what happens.

And to the messenger that fulfilled my request - Thank you for showing me a piece of God's providence!!

No comments: