Monday, October 25, 2004

Who We Gonna Save? Part II

For the beginning of this blog, check out the Daisy House webpage.

So, the dilema . . .

I have recently, along with Kim, found myself leading a group of high school girls called the Angels of the Holy Queen. We consecrate ourselves to Jesus through Mary. It is a wonderful group of girls. The thing is, there are not very many of us. Eventually, I would like to reach more.

Before, the focus of a group that I have helped lead has always been smaller. A church youth group with 20 kids in it. Before, I have never been "the" leader. Now, however, it seems to have fallen on me and Kim to be leaders. I love this! I am so excited about the fact that I get the chance to help these girls get closer to Jesus. But I am also overwhelmed by it. I teach at a school of 1,000 students. We have twenty girls come to Angels (on a good night). Some nights, we have less than ten.

For now, I love the small group. I love getting to know these girls on a personal level. (This is why I am not sure I am supposed to be a teacher but that is another blog for another time). The problem is, especially with girls, how do you get more girls involved without it becoming a clique? I hated (hate, to be more precise) groups that exclude themselves from others. I feel that that goes against everything I stand for as a Christian. Jesus said to "let the little children come unto me." The song goes, "red and yellow, black and white. They are precious in his sight . . ." But what about the popular girls and the band geeks (I was a band geek and reserve the right to use the title!) and the drama queens and the normal girls and the outsider girls? How do we, as Angels, not exclude any of these very special people? How do we involve all types of girls, not just the ultra-religious ones?

I know that I can't answer this question. But it makes my heart ache. I don't want anyone to feel left out!! Why do I have to be the eternal optimist that doesn't want anyone's feelings hurt? Why can't the popular girls and the non-popular girls just be friends, without the stupid popularity thing getting in the way. I don't understand!!

No comments: