Saturday, January 08, 2005

Power Outages . . .

So, our power went out the other day. Not for as long as some people. Ok, for 45 minutes. But, I don't know that I would have minded if it had been longer. (I know what you are thinking; "You didn't have to get up early, clean off your car and drive the icy roads to work after taking a cold shower and not being able to blow dry your hair.") Nope, I have a cushy job (ha, if you think teaching is cushy, try it for a day.

Anyway, I am totally off the subject. The power went out and I was sitting with my two roommates with the fire glowing its warmth and the french vanilla candle permeating the room with its light and its scent. We just sat there (after we did our Windsor Pilates tape workout from memory in front of the fire). We could just "be." It was so refreshing to just "be." There was no pressure that we should be doing anything. There was nothing to do. We just took cozy naps and sat and watched the fire glimmering. (can a fire glimmer).

I was almost disappointed when the lights came back on. It was, as I explained to my girls, "loud in our house." There were machines humming and lights murmuring and life trying to track us down saying "Why aren't you watching TV or playing a game or working on something for school tomorrow." And I was sad.

I think that we, as an American culture, have forgotten how to be with each other. We can't just sit and not do anything. I think that we do it more here at the Daisy House. When I went home for Christmas there was no time for "being." We had to watch this movie or that show or eat or cook or go somewhere. There was very little "being."

That is my challenge. For myself as well as for you, my reader. Take some time this weekend to "be" with your family and friends. It is relaxing. It is non-stressing. It is good.

No comments: